I’m still trying to find the right vintage hairstyles for my hair and after looking a bit through Youtube, Instagram and the rest of the internet, I found this Veronica Lake inspired hairstyle which is absolutely perfect for longer hair. Veronica was an american actress known for the movies “Sullivan’s Travels” and “The Blue Dahlia”. She was one of the ultimate femme fatales back then and one of her trademarks was her beautiful blonde curly hair.
I already tried out this hairstyle 2 or 3 times and all I can say is: I’m in love and I feel so glamorous with it. A few days ago, I posted a picture of my first try on my Instagram and some beautiful people asked me how I created these lovely curls. I know that my hairstyle looks a bit different than Veronica’s because I still have to practice a bit but anyway. I think it’s a wonderful femme fatale look and therefore, I’m going to make a very simple tutorial today, especially for the people who’ve asked ❤
Veronica Lake inspired hair tutorial
First of all, the first steps are quiet similiar to my first hair tutorial “Vintage everyday hairstyle – inspired by Vivien Leigh”, which is also a very beautiful curly hairstyle. So if you need some more inspiration check it out! But let’s start. All you need is a curling iron with a medium barrel size, a heat protection spray, some bobby pins (if you have longer hair like me, you definitely need more than 20), hair spray, a comb and maybe some styling mousse.
1. If you own styling mousse, I would recommend you to use it, for a better and longer footing and for more volume. You normally use this on towel dried hair, so you should wash your hair before doing this. But it’s not a must for this hairstyle, it’s just a little tip! 😉
2. If you want to skip the first step, you can now crapp your comb to make a side parting and brush out your hair carefully.
3. Now it’s time to use the heat protection spray. Please, always use this! When I started to use curlers and irons, I didn’t know about this spray and this sadly destroyed my hair. So if you don’t own it, go buy it. It’s in my opinion a must.
4. The curling part with a curling iron. This is in my opinion the hardest one but well, it’s necessary. Of course, you can also use another curling technique but for my thick hair it’s the only option. I would recommend you to use a medium barrel size because the curls shouldn’t be too small or too big. Most of the people begin to curl at the front but I do it the other way round because it’s way easier for me 😀 If you curled one strand, fix it with some bobby pins!
5. You curled all of your hair, fixed it with bobby pins and now you’re looking like a mess? Congrats, you did everything right! 😀 Let your hair cool down for a minimum of 30 minutes, after that you’re allowed to remove the bobby pins 😛 And you will see that this half an hour or more was worth it! Trust me.
6. Now it’s time to decide if you want this hairstyle to be voluminous or if you want some straight glamorous waves.
Option Nr. 1:
This one is a bit more voluminous and “natural“. I didn’t brush the curls out, I just used my fingers to seperate them a bit. That’s all.
Option Nr. 2:
Here’s an example of my glamorous Hollywood waves. This hairstyle is all about: brushing! I used a paddle brush and the only thing you have to do is to brush and twist your curls into one big wave. I have to admit, that this step is not easy and it definitely needs a bit more practice and time. If you want to see how this brushing step looks like I can recommend you f.e. the Youtuber Loepsie, she did some similar hairstyles.
7. Last step: use some hair spray! Now you’re ready to sweep everybody off their feed with your femme fatale look ❤
My hair routine
Before I end this post, I want to answer a question I got very often. It’s about my hair routine. A lot of people asked me about my hair secret, but I have to disappoint you – there is none! I had long hair nearly all of my life and I’ve been at a hairdresser for only 2 or 3 times in my whole life. My mum always cuts my ends by herself one or two times a year and that’s it. I also don’t use 100 various hair products. The only things I regularly use are a shampoo, a hair rinse (rarely a conditioner) and an “anti split spray” after I blow-dried my hair. Of course, it has been a hard and long search for me to find the right products. I tried out a lot of different stuff but after all I can recommend you the Gliss Kur Hair Repair Oil Nutritive products from Schwarzkopf. I use this stuff for more than one year now and I’m totally satisfied with it.
That’s it for my second hair tutorial and my hair routine. I hope I could inspire and help you a little bit. I also thought a lot about making a video tutorial or making a Youtube channel in general but I’m not sure. Would you be interested in that? Just tell me on my social media or comment below ❤
Your Shirinatra xx